Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Gluten Free Herb Chicken

I have had the need to cook gluten-free several times in the past few years. Gabriel has been on and off a gluten free diet (and may go on it again), I have a couple gluten-free friends, and now my sis-in-law is trying it to see if dietary restrictions can cure her tummy issues. 
One of the HARDEST things about gluten free is the lack of carbs, and therefore people often do not feel full. When you start a gluten free diet, at first it is completely overwhelming because you focus on what you CAN’T have, and it’s a lot. But, as my sis in law wisely did, you try to focus on what you can have. Even then, it can be a daunting task to figure out how to make allowed food that is also delicious.
When Joanna let me know that she was trying out a Gluten free diet, I wanted to really cook for her...not just have a thing or two around. I used a Gluten Free mix by Red Mill to make her Chocolate Chip Cookies. They don’t taste like the original, but they will certainly satisfy a sweet tooth or chocolate craving.
Then I found a great idea for dinner--use potato flakes instead of flour to bread chicken. The recipe I found called for instant potato flakes, but I used potato cake mix instead, thinking it would crisp up better.  We were not disappointed, and all of us gluten eaters liked this chicken as much as any. So, the following is my adaptation for gluten free chicken strips. We ate them with guacamole and corn tortilla chips and cantaloupe. We made another gluten free dish--rice with apples and cinnamon, but never got around to eating it!
Ingredients:
1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken. I cut mine into tenders/strips
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 cup potato cake mix 
2 tsp. oregano
2 tsp. basil
2 tsp. thyme 
(or 2 Tbsp Italian Seasoning)
about 1/3 cup oil
Why I use Grapeseed oil: A byproduct of wine making, Grapeseed oil is nearly colorless and tasteless. It is very light (so light I use it on my skin or in the ends of my hair on occasion), and has such a high smoke point--over 400 degrees Farenheit, whereas when Olive Oil is hotter than 350 degrees it starts to break down--that it is ideal for any type of frying. Additionally because of the make up of Grapeseed Oil, if you use proper techniques for frying, like using enough oil and now crowding the pan, and cooking at the right temp, your food will absorb less oil, and is much more compatible with a low fat diet than other oils. It is costly--though not more than Olive Oil, but the benefits for me outweigh the cost.
Rinse and pat dry the chicken pieces.
Salt and pepper them (if you want)
Mix the seasonings and potato cake mix in a bowl or shallow dish
Lay paper towels or a rag on the counter next to the stove, and put a wire rack over them.
Heat the oil in a sturdy pan (cast iron or the like) on high heat. You know it’s high enough when a drop of water dripped on   
        the oil sizzles and crackles.
Roll each chicken piece in the mix and transfer straight to the hot oil.
Cook about 5 minutes on the first side, flip and cook about 4 minutes on the other side.
They are done when both sides are dark golden brown and crisp.
Transfer to the wire rack to cool.
Hints: 
~Don’t crowd the pan. Don’t let pieces touch each other.
~The chicken needs to be pretty dry before being coated. I rinse the chicken under running water, put it on a towel, and pat it dry, then let them dry while I get everything else prepped.
Serving Suggestions:
Dip in Ketchup or ranch (not all dressings are gluten free, so pay attention).
Make small pieces for kids like chicken nuggets.

No comments:

Post a Comment