Thursday, August 5, 2010

Stuffed Zucchini

Short Version:

Twice this summer I have receive GIANT zucchinis from my sister in law's parents in law's garden.

Think larger than a roll of paper towels.

Yep.

I found a stuffed zucchini recipe, but altered it to make it gluten free, and, in my humble opinion, better.

You're Welcome.
Note: Not my picture. Mine have a different topping.

Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and using a spoon or melon baller, scoop out flesh, leaving 1/4" thick. Arrange in a baking dish. Chop the scooped out flesh of the zucchini in small pieces.


In a large saute pan, melt 1 tbsp butter or a combo of half butter and half oil.


Add, 1/2 an oinion, chopped,  and 3 cloves garlic, chopped. 
Cook for 3 minutes.  


Add chopped zucchini and a pinch of salt.
Cook for 3 minutes.


Add 3 tbsp white wine or chicken stock.
Cook for 3 minutes.


Add 1 lb ground turkey, and another pinch of salt plus one of pepper.
Cook for 3 minutes.


--Kidding--


Cook until all the turkey turns light or white. Chop the turkey up while it cooks.
Add 1 tsp each of:
basil
paprika
garlic powder
rosemary

--Or--


whatever spices you want to add. Seriously.


Stir the spices in and set the whole pan aside to cool.


5 minutes later add 1/4 cup parmesean and 1 egg white.


Stir well.


If you are not gluten free, you can add 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs too.


Pack the mixture into the zucchini halves.


I topped mine with frozen grated potatoes (hash brown potatoes), put a few little pats of butter on top, and made a foil boat for each half of the zucchini to bake in.


You can do what you want.


You can bake it in a 9x13 pan, and you can add some chicken broth to the pan to make it extra soft. 


I don't because


a. It's too hot to turn on the oven and I use the toaster oven
b. I like crisp veggies, even when they are cooked.


Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes. Zucchini should be tender. 


This was so amazingly good I made it twice. Everyone liked it.


I didn't take a picture of mine.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! Thanks for telling me a little about Riverside county.

    ReplyDelete